Saturday, July 25, 2015

Poetry, Music Influences on My Life


Bob Dylan from Minnesota was influenced by a Welsh poet and even took his name.  Leonard Cohen, a Canadian, was influenced by a Spanish Poet Fedrico Lorca and that may account for some of the Spanish darkness in his songs ; also the darkness of his Jewish history.  I found the poem in Lorca’s The Poet in New York that influenced Cohen’s This Waltz. 
 
My brother Richard Reineke,  played Spanish guitar and loved both of these singers who wrote their own songs.  I do also.  Why?  Maybe it’s their darkness or their use of words. I can hear Minnesota inflections in Bob Dylan's lyrics.  My brother and I grew up hearing Minnesota ways of speaking from our parents.  Music and poetry are international and particular.

Between Sweetwater and Sand  My website.

http://www.amazon.com/Barbara-Spring/e/B002PI5IQQ  My Amazon page where you will find my books, videos etc.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment